Watch the charisma radiate from Nomi Ruiz, future pop icon.
Curated by Whitney Weiss
Total Runtime: 0:40:46
Experiencing actual star power in a pre-celebrity is a rare experience. If you've the chance to see Jessica 6 before Nomi Ruiz becomes a household name, you'll be taken by the fact that girl gets onstage and absolutely owns the audience, charms them instantly, works them the whole show, and flings them into the street a sweaty, giddy mess. She's a DJ, model, frontwoman, and singer, but mostly she is pure presence. Seriously. It's like seeing Prince and Appolonia at the same time.
I had the honor of catching her performance at a Fashion Week party for Theirry Mugler and seeing a sold-out Jessica 6 show at the Mercury Lounge in the same week. In both settings, she had people on their feet dancing in seconds, with straight boys screaming like girls, all types of girls checking her out, and gay boys fawning over her like she was the proper pick to carry the Madonna torch. The problem with talking Nomi Ruiz up so much is that you might not be able to catch all of her essence in these YouTube videos. Hopefully, though, some will shine through and you'll get the picture.
01. Jessica 6 - Fun Girl (live in Warsaw)
02. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind (live)
03. Jessica 6 - Prisonor of Love (live in Athens)
04. Jessica 6 - Make-Up (Vanity 6 cover, live in New York)
05. "Be My Lover" interlude
06. Hercules and Love Affair - You Belong (live in New York)
07. Jessica 6 - Good to Go (live in Cologne)
08. Jessica 6 - Time Will (live in New York)
09. Nomi Ruiz w/ Eli Escobar - Desire
10. Jessica 6 - White Horse (live at a Greek awards show)